Specialised: Gluten Free
On these hot summer days, there is nothing nicer than treating yourself to a delicious, ice cold dessert. Sorbet is one of those great summer desserts that are light, refreshing and actually pretty easy to make yourself.
Yes, the easier option is to just pop into the shops and buy a tub of your favourite flavour, but have a look at the sugar content of store bought sorbet the next time you buy some. They are packed with sugar! This is actually very unnecessary as you can get the same delicious taste without all the added sugar.
We are lucky enough to have an amazing granadilla plant that produced bucket loads of granadillas this summer. A perfect excuse to try out some homemade sorbet.
This recipe is super easy and if you are lucky enough to have an ice cream maker, quite fast.
You will need:
- 2 cups granadilla pulp
- 1 cup 100% pure mango and orange juice
- 1 small very ripe mango
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 egg whites
- Puree your ripe mange until it forms a smooth pulp.
- Mix the mango pulp, juice and granadilla together. Add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Pour into a container and pop into the freezer for an hour.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Remove the fruit mixture from the freezer and fold in the egg whites.
- Pop into the freezer for another hour and then remove and give the mixture a gentle stir.
- Continue to do this, until you get your desired consistency. (We recommend doing this on a weekend, as it is a bit of a whole day event.
- Pop a scoop into a bowl or glass and serve with fresh mint.
- If you have an ice cream maker, you can use the exact same recipe. It eliminates you having to take the mixture out every hour.
Munchwize Dietitians are based in Claremont in Cape Town. Click here to get in contact with us