SPRING FRESH VIETNAMESE WRAPS
These refreshing rolls are delicious and are a much healthier alternative to deep-fried spring rolls. Experiment with your own fillings – hot or cold.
- 6 round rice paper sheets
- 1/2 TBS peanut oil
- 100g cooked skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 1/4 cup fresh Vietnamese mint (or any other mint)
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup finely sliced red cabbage
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup sliced carrots
- 1/4 cup sliced cucumber
- Salt and chilli to taste
1. Heat the oil in a wok, add chicken and stir-fry. Add the salt and chili to taste. Remove once cooked.
2. Tear the mint, coriander and basil leaves into small pieces. Prep the veg in a separate bowl.
3. Place a bowl of warm water and a damp kitchen cloth on your kitchen counter. Dip one piece of rice paper into the warm water for 30 seconds to soften. Place it on the damp towel to prevent it from sticking.
4. Place a layer of filling along one side of the rice paper. Leave a bit of space on the side so that you can seal it. Don’t over fill the wraps as it will be quite difficult to roll them up.
5. Roll the rice paper to form a sausage. When you reach half way, fold the side edges in enclosing the filling.
6. Place on a tray, seam side down and cover with a damp dish towel.
(Vegetarian option: Replace the chicken with fresh avo/ grilled haloumi cheese).
- 2 TBS water, 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 TBS fresh chopped coriander
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped / 1tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 TBS crushed peanuts
- 1 TBS fish sauce
- 1 TBS honey
Mix all the ingredients together. Prepare this a few hours before hand as the sauce improves with time.