MUNCHWIZE HOMEMADE GRANOLA BITS
Quick,easy, sugar-free and suitable for kids. It can be used as a snack or as a breakfast option.
- 2 cups Rolled oats
- 2 tbsp. Flaxseed powder
- 1 tbsp. Psyllium powder
- 2 tbsp. Flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup Mixed chopped nuts and of your choice (We used sunflower seeds, brazil nuts, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup dried apricots (soaked in hot water for a few minutes)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (soaked in hot water for a few minutes)
- 1 tbsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. Xylitol
- 2 tbsp. Cocao nibs
- 2 egg whites, beaten with 3 tbsp. water
- Optional: A drizzle of melted honey & 1 tbsp. melted butter
- Mix all your dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Drain the dried fruit and add to the bowl.
- Add your wet ingredients and mix well.
- It should develop a slightly sticky consistency. If not you can always add an additional egg white or a bit more psyllium powder.
- Spread flat on a silicon no-stick sheet.
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for about 15-20minutes or until golden brown. (Time may vary depending on the thickness).
- Remove from the oven and cut into blocks.
- Experiment with your own flavours.
- This can also be broken up to be used as a granola cereal in the morning.
For more delicious recipes and ideas, contact Munchwize Dietitians based in Claremont, Cape Town.