MUNCHWIZE DIETITIAN’S HOME-MADE YOGHURT CHEESE
One of the great things with making your own soft cheese is that you have control over what is added. If you buy preservative free yoghurt, you will then end up with preservative free cheese.
What you will need:
- 500g goats milk yoghurt
- 5000g natural plain yoghurt
- ½ tsp salt
- Muslin/cheese cloth
- Large bowl
- Line a bowl with a muslin/ cheesecloth.
- In a separate bowl mix the two yoghurts together with ½ a teaspoon of salt and pour into the cloth.
- Bring the edges of the cloth together and tie tightly with string.
- Hang the bundle away from direct sunlight over a bowl or from your tap over the kitchen sink.
- Leave to drain for about 36 hours.
- You will notice that most of the liquid will have drained out of the cloth and you will be left with a drier, creamier cheese. This is also sometimes referred to as labneh.
- Remove the cheese from the cloth and store in an airtight container.
You can use this just as it is as a spread or add a dollop with some olives and nuts onto your salad. You can also use it as a healthy dip for veggie sticks or at a braai.
Experiment and add anything you like to the labneh e.g. lemon rind, crushed garlic, chives etc.
If you don’t like goats milk yoghurt, you can just use the plain yoghurt.
For more information on preparing healthy, wholesome foods, contact Munchwize Dietitians based in Claremont, Cape Town.