HEARTY TUSCAN SOUP |MUNCHWIZE DIETITIANS CAPE TOWN
This is a great winter option and freezes well. So make a big pot and then freeze individual portions for a quick lunch option on those chilly days.
Specialised: Diabetic Friendly
- A dash of oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and diced
- 1 tin Borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tin Canelini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (plain/chilli)
- 2 litres stock (try to use a low sodium stock cube if you can find them)
- 1 tbsp. fresh oreganum, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh matjoram, chopped
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander or parsley, chopped (Added at the end)
- For the non-vegetarians:
- You can add 100g lean/weigh-less bacon. Remove any additional visible fat.
- On a special occasion, you can add a chopped up chorizo sausage (Try to ensure you are buying organic)
- Heat the oil in a arge pot and add the onions and garlic.
- Cook until translucent.
- If you are adding bacon, add it now.
- Throw in the acrrots, celery and red pepper and cook until soft.
- Add your tinned beans, stock, bay leaf and herbs (excluding the coriander/parsley) and bring to a boil.
- Add in your tinned tomato.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove any scum that forms on the top.
- Serve with your fresh topped coriander on top.
For more delicious recipes, contact Munchwize Dietitians in Cape Town.