FLOURLESS PISTACHIO CAKE
- 2 cups almonds
- 1 1/2 cups pistachio nuts
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 eggs
- 5 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- Soak almonds in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Pre-heat oven to 160C. Grease a deep 22cm round springform cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Place drained almonds, pistachio, sugar, cardamom and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Add egg, egg white and lemon rind. Mix well.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan. Smooth the top. Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 1 1/4 hours until the top is golden and the cake has started browning around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool cake in the pan.
- Serve warm with a dusting of icing sugar if you prefer.
- Serve with plain Bulgarian/Greek yoghurt, sweetened with a dash of honey
Source: Cook Republic