BACON, BLACK BEAN, GREEN PEPPER AND QUINOA SALAD
Quinoa is a great gluten free, low GI, versatile grain. This recipe could also be made with whole wheat cous cous.
- 1 can black beans/kidney beans
- 1 ½ cups quinoa, cooked according to instructions on packet (Whole wheat cous cous can be used as an alternative)
- 1 packet extra fine green beans, blanched
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 300g packet of tender stem broccoli, blanched
- 1 cup assorted cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 packet lean back bacon, rind and fat removed (Can substitute the bacon for chicken pieces or any other lean meat)
- 1 cup plain low fat/fat free yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and thinly sliced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped mint
- Toss the black beans, quinoa, green beans, broccoli, green pepper and cherry tomatoes together in a large bowl.
- Remove any visible fat from the bacon and grill until crispy.
- Whisk the salad dressing ingredients together and pour over the salad.
- Top with bacon and mint leaves to serve.
- A delicious well balanced salad. A good accompaniment to a summer braai.
Adapted from Fresh Living