ALMOND AND ORANGE TORTE
This is a wonderful dessert that you can make as an alternative to the traditional Christmas Pudding – delicious, quick and nutritious.
- 6 free range eggs
- 200g xylitol
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 215g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 40g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add the xylitol.
- Whisk the eggs and xylitol until combined.
- Add the orange zest, baking powder and almonds and whisk into the egg mixture.
- Grease a 23cm round cake tin.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and sprinkle the almonds over the top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and firm.
- Remove the cake tin from the oven and allow the torte to cool in the tin.
- Once the torte is cool, carefully remove it from the cake tin and place it on a serving plate or platter.
- Serve with low fat yoghurt and orange slices.
- Orange zest can be substituted for any other citrus (e.g. lemon/grape fruit).
- You can also add a tsp of cinnamon, some almond essence or some poppy seeds.
WHY WE LOVE IT:
- It is a flourless, sugar less dessert, which is a great option for diabetics or those with gluten intolerance.
- Almond flour is a nutritious flour substitute and is rich in vitamin E, B2, calcium, fibre and magnesium.
- Xylitol is a low calorie alternative to sugar with a low GI.
- Eggs are a great source of protein and the yolk is a source of vitamin A, B, D, iron and zinc.
Recipe by Vanessa Marx, head chef at Dear Me