10 REASONS TO VISIT A REGISTERED DIETITIAN | MUNCHWIZE DIETITIANS
Are you pregnant or looking to become pregnant? Just had a child? Do you want to lose or gain weight? Are you looking for ways to maintain your health as you get older? Are you an athlete or even just very sporty and are looking to boost your performance?
These are just a few of the reasons to seek the expert, science-based advice of a registered dietitian.
Here are 10 of the most common reasons you should consult with a Registered Dietitian:
- You have diabetes, cardiovascular problems or high blood pressure. A registered dietitian plays an important role in your health-care team by assisting you to safely change the way you eat without compromising on taste or nutrition.
- You want to improve your sporting performance. A registered dietitian can help you get the most out of what you eat to improve your performance. It all comes down to timing and food combinations and finding out what works for you as an individual — whether you’re running a marathon, skiing or jogging with your dog.
- You’re pregnant or trying to get pregnant. A registered dietitian can help make sure that you are getting in all the important micro-nutrients. For example folate, which is especially important during the first three months of pregnancy to help lower your newborn’s risk for neural tube or spinal cord defects. Did you know what you eat can also play a role in fertility?
- You feel like you need some guidance and confidence for breast-feeding your baby. A registered dietitian can help make sure you’re eating is on track when breastfeeding, ensuring you are getting in enough iron, vitamin D, fluoride and B vitamins for you and your little one. A registered dietitian can also assist you with breastfeeding itself.
- Your toddler is going through a fussy eating phase. A registered dietitian can assess your toddler’s diet and provide you with clever tips and tricks to enrich the meals and foods that he/she is currently managing to eat.
- You have digestive problems. A registered dietitian will help to fine-tune your diet so you are not aggravating your condition with fried foods, too much caffeine or carbonation.
- Your teenager has issues with food and eating healthfully. A registered dietitian can sit down with your teenager and explain the importance of a healthy balanced diet and the benefits for the body. Registered dietitians can assist with eating disorders like anorexia, bulimia and overweight issues.
- You are wanting to gain or lose weight. A registered dietitian can provide you with suggestions for additional healthy calorie sources for healthy weight gain or a restricted-calorie eating plan plus regular physical activity for weight loss while still eating all your favorite foods.
- You’re caring for an aging parent. This is a group that is often forgotten about and are at high risk for nutritional deficiencies. A registered dietitian can help with food or drug interaction, proper hydration, special diets for hypertension, poor appetite as well as changing taste buds as you age.
- You want to eat smarter. A registered dietitian can help you to debunk all those food and nutrition myths that are splashed all over social media and the internet on a daily basis. A registered dietitian can help teach you how to read labels; help you discover that healthy cooking is inexpensive, assist you in learning how to eat out without ruining your eating plan and how to resist workplace temptations.
To find a dietitian in your area, visit: www.adsa.org.za